Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Duke Ellington answers Proust


I spent most of my life on a train touring from town to town and writing music. Music is what I know and it's my greatest love. And I've arrived here in 2008 and I'm blogging! Well, I'll be blogging between sets or band rehearsals that is.....I want to share some of the amazing music I'm finding in Netsville! I think you'll dig it.

Today's world of music and entertainment feels like another planet to me. There's such an abundance of musicians and talented artists, and such a dizzying number of styles to choose from!

So before we get started sharing music and art, I thought I'd come out here and introduce myself with some questions my friend Proust gave me. I thought I'd take a stab at answering some of them because they're quite good:

- Your most marked characteristic?
I'd say playing piano in black tie every night

- The quality you most like in a man?
Ambition and responsibility

- The quality you most like in a woman?
Oh I just love women....everything about them....they're like a song

- What do you most value in your friends?
FUN....and a lighthearted view of the world.

- What is your principle defect?
I suppose being a perfectionist and a workaholic. I think that's what my wives would say....

- What is your favorite occupation?
Composing a new arrangement, giving it to my band, and then hearing them play it for the first time. There's nothing like the rush of that experience.

- What is your dream of happiness?
The life I lived was my dream of happiness. I'm lucky to have had the opportunity to play with some of the greatest musicians of our century, and to have experienced the times I lived in from the vantage point I had.

Here's the Proust questionnaire ~ maybe you'd like to try it!

cheers

No comments: